Since I made a Crayon Art piece for my nephew’s birthday and my sister’s birthday I knew I had to make one for my niece Lily. I wanted to try a new technique that I found on Pinterest, originally from the blog Artistic Junkie.
I laid out all of the same supplies as last time, except I choose vinyl letters to try and prevent the crayons from bleeding into the white spaces.
I started on the upper left corner and it was working great… up until I got close to the letter L. As most of you probably foresaw (but I didn’t–looking back going “duh”) the vinyl started to melt. Uh Oh! So I quickly re-evaluated and decided to drip the crayons down onto the canvas from up high. This turned out to be a hot looking mess. AND the crayon bleed under the vinyl a lot more then I experienced with masking tape.
My husband suggested I fill in the lettering with white paint to help it stand out. Not a bad idea but the paint showed every single bump and inconsistency in the canvas/melted crayon.
The edges are rough and the whole thing looks as if my niece made it for herself. So I made a tough decision (after all the time I spent–this took way longer than my other two pieces!) and threw the whole thing out. I restarted the project using the same technique I did for my nephew’s gift.